I don’t know about you…but I love cheese. So when I found out that I could make it at home, with only 3 ingredients I absolutely had to try it out! This recipe couldn’t be easier, and you will most likely have the ingredients in your cupboard at home. This is a great thing to make if you have friends coming round, adding to sandwiches, spreading on crackers or just having in the fridge to dip fresh veggies into. Technically this is called Labneh – a soft Middle Eastern cheese, which is very similar to Philadelphia cream cheese, but without all the added nasties, making it a great healthy alternative. I hope you enjoy making (and eating) this as much as I do, please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram!
You will need:
- A muslin cloth
- Tea towel
- Large pan with handles
- Large mixing bowl
- Spoon to mix with
Recipe: Makes 1kg of cheese
1kg Greek Yoghurt
3tbsp Olive Oil
1tbsp Sea Salt (I know it seems like a lot of salt, but you are making a lot of cheese!)
Optional: Handful of diced basil leaves or 1tbsp Chilli Flakes or crushed garlic and diced chives- You can really get creative with whatever flavour combinations you want! I sprinkled mine with thyme leaves after it was set.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a larger bowl
- Add any extra flavours here
- Once all the ingredients are fully combined layout the tea towel with the muslin on top.
- Spoon the yoghurt mixture onto the muslin, quickly gathering the corners up so that the yoghurt is all contained in the muslin.
- This is the tricky stage, the cheese needs to be suspended so that the whey can separate out – I used a large pan, tying the muslin cloth to the handles tight enough that the bottom of the muslin didn’t touch the bottom of the pan.
- Once you have securely tied your cloth, place it in the fridge for about 24 hours. The longer you leave it the firmer it will be – has to hang for at least 12 hours.
It is best kept in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.
Recipe from – @themilkshedstore