As a student, convenience meals are my friend! Ones that are so quick and easy but are also super tasty and keep me full for a long time. When I am at university, I definitely choose meals that take under 30 mins from start to finish, not because I don’t enjoy cooking (because I love it!!); but because I am running around all over the place, so need something that can be made in a snap! Besides, I am way to impatient to wait more than 30 mins for food!
The traditional Middle Eastern dish, Shakshuka is one of my favourites as it simple to make and has loads of tasty veggies and spices, most of the time you will already have the majority of ingredients sitting in your cupboard/fridge. I could literally eat this all the time, but it is best enjoyed curled up on the sofa, in front of a good film on a rainy day! The recipe below is actually fairly low carb, however if you wanted to have this as a post workout meal, just add in some sweet potato chunks with the rest of the veggies and hey presto…a great post workout meal!
Recipe – Serves 2:
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Garlic clove – crushed
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2tsp Dried Herbs
- 1tsp Dried Chilli flakes – (I am a bit of a chilli wimp so add more if you can handle the heat! Fresh chilli would also work here too)
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 Avocado
- Handful of fresh Basil to garnish
- Crusty Bread optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Start by slicing your peppers and onion into fairly thin slices.
- Put a large frying pan onto a medium heat, once it is warm add 1tbsp of oil.
- Add your onion and peppers and sauté gently until tender.
- Add the garlic, herbs and spices and cook through for a couple of minutes – taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Once the veggies are tender add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir everything together and increase the heat to a gentle simmer.
- You want to let the mixture simmer until the tomato sauce has reduced slightly and thickened up, it should take around 8-10 mins.
- At this stage you need to transfer your tomato mixture into an oven proof dish.
- Make 4 little wells on the surface of the mix and crack 1 egg into each well.
- Put into a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 10 mins or until the eggs are cooked.
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, slice and mash up your avocado, adding salt, pepper and a little lemon juice.
- Once the eggs are cooked, add the mashed avocado to the top in little spoonfuls, sprinkle with the fresh basil and you are good to go!
- Serve up and enjoy!
Optional: toast/bread for dipping into the runny yolks!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to leave a comment and tag me on Instagram if you make this!