Recently it has become pretty common knowledge that breakfast is the the most important meal of the day…(breakfast lovers rejoice!). Not only does it get your metabolism going for the day, but it also makes you less likely to overeat or snack too much later on. The really question though, is what is your favourite breakfast? There are just so many options!!
Personally, what I eat for breakfast depends on when I am exercising, what I am doing that day etc. If I have trained before breakfast I like to refuel with a big bowl of oats…be it in the form of muesli, porridge or my favourite, granola! It keeps me fuelled until lunch time and is great with fruit, yoghurt or just plain milk!
This is a new recipe of mine, which uses a classic combination of pecans and cranberries, a match made in granola heaven! As always it is very easy to make and is a ‘throw it all in a bowl and mix’ kind of recipe! My favourite way to eat this, it with sliced banana, milk and loads of berries piled on top. This will leave you feeling ready to tackle the day because as it is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
Recipe: Makes a large container
- 2 cups Oats
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Pecans
- 1 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds
- 1/2 cup Chia Seeds
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- 75g Butter (can substitute for coconut oil)
- 4 tbsp date nectar (or sweetener of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine the oats, pecans, sunflower seeds, almonds and chia seeds in a large bowl and mix.
- Melt the butter and date nectar on a low heat in a saucepan.
- Pour the melted butter mix over the dry ingredients and mix until everything is coated in the butter mix.
- Spread the granola over a baking tray that is lined with baking paper and bake in the oven for 30 mins, stirring after 15 mins.
- Once the granola is cool enough stir in the cranberries.
- Store this in an airtight container and will keep for about a week…if it lasts that long!
I hope you enjoy making this, comment if