Beans, beans good for your heart the more you eat the more you…..will love these because they are so tasty and delicious! As the weather turns, the rain sets in and we say goodbye to the sun until at least March, it calls for more autumnal recipes. Everyone knows that beans are the ultimate comfort food, perfect for loading up baked potatoes, spicing up any casserole, or piling into a warm homemade wrap.
However, the traditional baked beans are usually full of sugar and salt and never as yummy as my homemade version! This recipe uses canned beans, chopped tomatoes, @nudespice sweet and smokey seasoning, an onion and garlic, how easy! Similarly the flatbreads are just as simple and require little prep, which is a blessing after a long day. This recipe shows you how to make 2 different flavours using @nudespice hot and tangy, and heady and herby, seasoning packs. The two combined are heavenly, but you can also make these individually. Make the wraps the day before and stuff your favourite sandwich fillings in for school or work. Equally the beans are perfect for a cosy night on the sofa in front of a good film!
Both of these recipes are Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free.
Smokey Beans: Serves 6
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 small Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tins of Beans of your choice – I used Black Eyed and Aduki Beans, but Red Kidney, Butter Beans, Cannellini would work just as well too!
- 2 tsp Nude Spice Sweet and Smokey seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat a tbsp of Olive Oil in a saucepan and place over a medium heat before adding the onion and garlic.
- Soften the onion and garlic, before adding all the remaining ingredients and bringing to a simmer.
- Simmer the bean mix for about 25-30mins stirring occasionally, until the mix has thickened up.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste and serve with the flatbreads or on top of a baked potato…or on their own – the world is your oyster!!
Flatbreads: Makes 8
(Adapted from a Hemsley + Hemsley Recipe)
- 250g Gram Flour (also called Chickpea Flour)
- 4ooml Cold Water
- Salt and Pepper
- 1tsp @nudespice Heady and Herby Seasoning
- 1tsp @nudespice Hot and Tangy Seasoning
- Measure out the gram flour and divide equally into 2 bowls.
- In each bowl add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To one bowl add the Herby seasoning, along with 200ml cold water, whisking together until a thick batter is formed.
- Do the same in the second bowl but adding the Hot seasoning instead.
- Allow the mix to sit for about 30 mins to thicken up more.
- Heat a large pan over a medium to high heat and melt some butter, or coconut oil works too.
- Add around 2 large spoonfuls of mix to the pan and fry on each side for about 2 mins or until golden brown, flip over and fry the other side.
- Repeat for the remaining mixture for both flavours.
- Serve with the Smokey beans and a large side salad!
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do! As always leave me a comment or head over to my Instagram page to give me some love over there!
Check out the Nudespice website to get your hands on some of their amazing spice range.