This recipe is a classic midweek meal, its delicious, filling and takes no time at all to prepare. As the colder weather sets in it is an ideal dish to rustle up on a cold evening and enjoy with all the family.
The meatball ragu is flavourful, rich and packed full of veggies and spices, served with the polenta it is a perfect post workout meal as it has a great balance of protein, lean fats and carbohydrates. It is so simple and easy to make, yet tastes so yummy, that it is guaranteed to transport you to the Italian hills.
Ingredients: Serves 3-4
- 1 large Carrot
- 1 Courgette
- 1 Red Onion
- 12 Turkey Meatballs
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp @nudespice Spice and all spice mix (if you don’t have this a mix of paprika, chilli, onion and garlic powder will work as well.)
- Salt and Pepper
For the Polenta:
- 1 cup Polenta
- 5 cups Water
- 3 tsp Boullion stock powder
- salt and pepper
- Knob of butter
- Optional – 50g of cheese (any cheese works here but ones that melt are the best e.g cheddar, feta, blue cheese etc)
- Start by preparing all of the veggies – finely dice the onion and chop the carrot and courgette into small cubes
- Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a wide based, deep frying pan before adding the meatballs
- Brown the meatballs all over before adding the onion.
- Once the onion has softened add the rest of the ragu ingredients along with the same amount of water as chopped tomatoes.
- Give the ragu a stir and leave to simmer for about 30 mins until it has thickened up and reduced to give a rich tomato sauce.
- Whilst the ragu is simmering away, add the Polenta, water and stock powder to a saucepan and cook on a medium heat.
- You will have to stir this frequently until the polenta has absorbed all the water and has become thick.
- Add the cheese, butter, salt and pepper just before serving, making sure it all melts together.
- Serve the ragu and polenta with a green side salad and enjoy!