Who doesn’t like having chocolate for breakfast? When I was little it was never allowed but now you can enjoy this chocolate porridge without feeling guilty or needing an excuse! Made with raw cacao powder it is full of antioxidants and the oats provide slow releasing carbs that will leave you feeling energised all day. Most importantly though the ingredients are all natural, with minimal processing which means that you aren’t filling your tummy with lots of artificial colours, flavours and chemicals that no one really knows what they do. My philosophy is that if you can’t read the ingredient/don’t know what it is or where it comes from you shouldn’t be eating it!
This recipe is gluten and refined sugar free and so is the perfect start to your day. This is my favourite breakfast to have when I am feeling particularly tired and need a little extra boost to start my day.
Ingredients: Serves 1
- 1/2 cup Oats
- 1 cup Water/Milk (I usually do 1/2 a cup of each)
- 1 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp Sweetener (My favourites are pure Maple Syrup or Date Nectar)
- 1 tsp Maca Powder (optional)
- 1 Scoop of Protein Powder (also optional – I would opt for a vanilla or chocolate flavour to really enhance the flavour of the Cacao.)
- Banana Slices
- Chia Seeds
- Peanut Butter
- Any other fruit you like e.g. Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries etc
- Desiccated coconut
- Add the oats and liquid of choice to the pan, bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 mins.
- The cooking time of your oats will depend on what type of oats you buy – I have quick cook rolled oats and they only take about 5 mins to absorb all the liquid BUT if you have steel cut or normal rolled oats they will take longer, around 10-15 mins on a low heat.
- Once the porridge has thickened up and most of the liquid has been absorbed add the cacao powder, sweetener, and optional protein and maca powders.
- If the mixture becomes too thick here you can always add a splash more milk – this will also help to cool it down slightly.
- Once all the ingredients have been incorporated add the porridge is cooked, pour into a bowl.
- Top with your favourite toppings, a selection of mine are above, but you can go crazy and add anything you want!
I hope you enjoy making this warm bowl of deliciousness! Let me know if you do by leaving a comment or heading over to my Instagram and leaving a comment there! Happy Breakfasting.