One of my best friends is a member of the England Ladies Curling Team and as they have one of their biggest competitions coming up, she asked me to provide healthy, natural and fuelling snacks to take onto the ice with them. Of course I jumped at the opportunity to help her out and it also gave me a great excuse to start experimenting in the kitchen!!
Long days competing mean that you have to fuel your body right, to allow it to perform at its best and also to aid recovery. With that in mind, these little protein balls were born. They are packed full of protein, healthy fats and also carbs, in the form of slow releasing carbs, oats and quick releasing carbs, dates. The oats will help to fuel the girls for long days on the ice, the dates will provide a quick burst of energy between games and the protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.
You can use any nut butter you like, but my favourite is peanut butter and so of course that was the obvious choice for me! These little beauties are also gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free and so are the perfect snack for everyone.
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 cup soaked Dates (just soak your dates in boiling water for around 20 mins)
- 1/4 cup protein powder of choice (I used unflavoured)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 3 tbsp melted Coconut Oil
- Desiccated coconut to roll the balls in
- Blend the oats in a food processor or high speed blender until it resembles a flour consistency.
- Then add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until everything is combined.
- You want the mixture to be a soft texture that can hold its shape when rolled into a ball. If you are having trouble blending, add a little splash of water.
- Take small amounts of the mixture and roll into balls, use wet hands here as it will prevent it from sticking to everything.
- Roll the balls in desiccated coconut and refrigerate for about 30 mins just for them to harden up a little.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and try not to eat them all at once…its very hard not too, trust me!!