One of my favourite treats that my Mummy used to always make was lemon bars – soft shortbread base with a chewy and delicious tangy lemon topping. However, as I like a challenge and love to experiment in the kitchen making healthier versions of my favourite treats I set out making a refined sugar and gluten free version (which can also very easily be made dairy free).
The base for this is the same as my Peanut Caramel Slices and is the perfect crumble oaty base for the lemon bars. Topped with a zesty lemon layer they are the ultimate cup of tea accompaniment or 4 o’clock snack. As always this recipe is very easy and takes about 40 mins from start to finish.
- 150g Fine Oatmeal (can also use oats whizzed into a fine flour)
- 80g Butter (or dairy free butter works just as well)
- 1 heaped Tbsp Honey
- 30g Coconut Flour
Lemon Topping Ingredients:
- The zest and juice of 3 Lemons
- 2 tbsp Date Nectar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 50g Ground Almonds
- For the base start by melting the butter and honey in a saucepan before mixing in the oatmeal and coconut flour until a dough forms.
- Press the base into a greased baking tray forming an even layer around 1cm thick.
- Place in the freezer for 30 mins whilst you make the lemon topping.
- Whilst the base is setting zest and juice the lemon into a bowl adding the eggs and whisking together.
- Next add the ground almonds and maple syrup before mixing thoroughly.
- Pour the topping onto the base and bake in the oven for about 15-20 mins until the lemon bar is set but still is slightly soft to the touch.
- Leave to cook for about 30 mins before cutting into squares.