Cheese and vegan? Hahah Fran, good one! Nope I’m being serious, cheesey delicious pasta that is completely vegan and oh so delicious. I have seen similar recipes around the internet that use vegetables as the base for a cheese sauce and so being the curious creature that I am, I obviously had to try it out myself. This honestly tastes so amazing, it is the perfect comforting pasta dish that I always seem to crave after a busy week or when the weather outside is really miserable. All the ingredients are very convenient and you can find them all in any supermarket (with the exception of the nutritional yeast which you can find in most big supermarkets and any good healthy food shop).
Give this recipe a go and thank me later!
Ingredients: Makes enough sauce for 4 people
- 3 Large Carrots
- 2 Large White Potatoes
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Dried Herbs
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Fresh Pasta
- Start by peeling the carrots and potatoes and cutting into small chunks.
- Boil the carrots and potatoes until they are really soft all the way through.
- Drain off the majority of the water used to cook the vegetables leaving about 150ml.
- Add the vegetables and remaining water to a blender, adding the peeled garlic clove, spices, salt and pepper.
- Add a splash more water if it is too hard to blend – if you add too much make a paste out of cornflour and water and mix that in to thicken it up.
- Once everything is blended until smooth and creamy return to the pan and simmer gently until your pasta is cooked.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix until the pasta is coated in the cheese sauce.
- Serve with a sprinkle of basil and chopped cherry tomatoes.