What is Christmas without a good gingerbread biscuit? One of my favourite Christmas activities is to put on the festive tunes, have a sing song in the kitchen and make some gingerbread men. They are perfectly crispy and gooey and warmingly spiced enough to make them a delightful treat to dunk in tea – or even better hot choc!
In this recipe I have made them with chocolate protein powder which is completely optional but I think gives them a lovely chocolate taste as well as obviously giving you a little protein filled snack. I also prefer my biscuits a little on the softer side but if you like your gingerbread men a little crisper just bake them in the oven for about 5 more mins then it says in the recipe.
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 2tsp Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Maca Powder
- 2 Scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
(Can easily sub out butter for dairy free butter)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl until all combined.
- Next add in the melted butter, egg and maple syrup and stir together until a dough forms.
- Flour your work surface and tip your dough out and knead with your hands until all the dough has come together and it is nice and smooth.
- You can leave to firm up in the fridge for about 15 mins at this point but if it is firm enough to roll (or you are incredibly impatient like me) then just roll straight away.
- With a rolling pin roll out the dough until it is about 1/2 cm thick.
- Using different cookie cutters, can be people, stars or hearts, cut out as many as you can and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bring the dough together again with your hands and roll out again until it is about 1/2 cm thick.
- Continue to cut and roll until all the dough has been used up.
- Bake your biscuits in the oven for about 15 mins if you like them soft and 20 mins if you like them crispy.
- Enjoy with a side of steaming hot choc in front of a roaring fire.