Easter is one of my favourite times of the year. Spring has sprung, the flowers are blooming and the weather is getting warmer again. Also it brings with it lots of seasonal food like hot cross buns, simnel cake, easter eggs and chocolate!
Warm hot cross buns fresh from the oven slathered with butter and jam is such a simple but delightful pleasure. This is my recipe for ‘cheats’ hot cross buns as they don’t have any yeast in them and are super quick to make and bake.
- 400g Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 200ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 100g Raisins.
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add the raisins to the flour mix and stir together.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, milk and maple syrup.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and and stir together – it might be easier to use your hands.
- Knead the dough for about 5 mins.
- Divide the dough into 6 evenly sized buns and place on a line baking tray.
- Brush the top of the buns with a beaten egg.
- Mix together 1 tbsp of flour with a splash of water to form a paste – pipe or draw with a knife a cross on the top of each bun.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 mins.