So using jackfruit in a recipe is a first for me. The only time I have ever tried it before this was in Thailand and I kid you not it tasted like a cross between loudly feet and rotten onions. It was vile and I didn’t get the obsession with it for ages. But I have seen so many people use it in the place of meat in pulled pork recipes that I just had to try it.
Safe to say my first experiences of the mouldy onion fruit I tried a couple of years ago where no where to be seen this time around with this recipe. I used canned jackfruit which you can find inmost supermarkets in the world food aisle. This recipe is a perfect replacement for meat as the jackfruit has a really fibrous and meaty texture. This is perfect for an easy and quick dinner recipe juicy jackfruit together with the rich tomatoey sauce and crispy spring onions and cucumber is delicious!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 1 can Jackfruit (in water)
- 100ml Vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 100g Sweetcorn
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 Spring Onions
- 1/3 Cucumber
- Pitta Bread
- Start by draining the jackfruit and breaking into slightly smaller pieces.
- Dice the onion and garlic and slice the cucumber and spring onion into thin slices.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add a tbsp of oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and sauté gently until soft.
- Add the vegetable stock along with the spices and tomato puree – once combined add the jackfruit and simmer gently for about 10 mins.
- Once the sauce has thickened up add the sweetcorn and cook for another couple of mins.
- Remove from the heat and using two forks shred the jackfruit.
- Toast your pittas and then fill with the pulled jack fruit – then top with a some spring onion and cucumber.