Celeriac is an underrated veg that when cooked develops a soft, creamy texture and soaks up a ton of flavour. This celeriac is charred and then cooked with lots of garlic, thyme and miso paste on top of a creamy zesty cannellini bean puree and a spicy, salty coriander dressing.
- 1/2 Celeriac
- 40g Fino Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 10g Fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp Miso Paste
- 1 tin Cannellini Beans
- 1 Lemon
- 150g Cherry Tomatoes
- 10g Fresh Coriander
- 20g Capers
- 2 tbsp Fino White Balsamic Vinegar
- 50g Fino Chilli Oil
- Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Start by peeling your celeriac and cutting into four equal wedges. Heat a frying pan or griddle pan on a high heat with 20g of the olive oil (a hefty glug). Add the celeriac wedges and cook for 4-5 mins on each side until charred and browned. Reduce the heat before adding in 2 of the finely sliced garlic cloves and thyme stalks.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool slightly for about 5 mins. Whilst the pan is cooling, stir the miso paste into 40ml of hot water to dissolve.
3. Once the celeriac has been cooling for about 5 mins, very carefully add in the miso paste with an additional 100ml of water. Cover the pan with tin foil and place the pan into the oven and roast for 25 mins until the celeriac is soft in the centre. (Make sure your pan doesn’t have a plastic handle!).
4. Whilst the celeriac is cooking, make the puree. Blend the drained cannellini beans with the juice and zest of the lemon, remaining garlic clove, salt, pepper and the remaining 20ml of olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
5. Place the tomatoes in a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of salt. Roast in the oven for 10 mins until blistered and charred. Remove the tin foil from the top of the celeriac pan and continue to roast for a further 10 mins whilst the tomatoes cook.
6. For the dressing, finely slice the coriander and place into a bowl with the capers, white balsamic and chilli olive oil.
7. Serve up with a dollop of puree, a couple of celeriac wedges with all the gubbins from the pan, roasted tomatoes and a drizzle of the coriander dressing.