A comfort food stable as we head into autumn – Mac & Cheese. As with quite a few of my recipes this one has a little twist to increase the number of veggies in this dish. The sauce is made from potatoes and carrots – which sounds weird I totally get that, but it isn’t and with the right mix of spices tastes just like the real deal. Don’t worry though this recipe isn’t completely devoid of any cheesy goodness, a little sprinkle on the top before it is baked gives it that delicious gooey cheesy taste that mac & cheese is famous for!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 4 medium Carrots
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 5 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 150ml Plant Based Milk
- 50g Vegan Cheese (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Start by cutting the carrots and potatoes into small chunks and boil until soft.
- Drain the veg and leave to cool slightly before placing in a blender/food processor.
- Add in the spices, nutritional yeast, milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth – if not completely smooth add a splash more milk and blend again.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and drain.
- Mix the sauce into the pasta and transfer to a oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, if using, and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15 mins or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Give it one more crack of black pepper for good measure and serve up!